GOLD STAR AWARDS – celebrating good quality developments
We think it’s important to celebrate good quality developments in our area and Gold Star awards are presented at our AGM each year. They are given for projects completed in the past year which can be clearly seen by the general public, so most rear extensions are excluded!
Each year we collect nominations – from proud property owners, from architects and from Society members. We arrive at a short list and conduct a formal site inspection in September (on a Sunday morning).
There have been one or two years when nothing has reached a high enough standard but most years we have sufficient nominations and we are able to celebrate with Gold Star awards.
GOLD STAR AWARDS 2017
The AGM in November 2017 saw the presentation of the much sought after Gold Star Awards. These are given to development projects in Redland & Cotham, completed since the previous AGM, which make a positive contribution to the appearance of our area and which are visible from public vantage points. So no interiors and very few rear extensions!
This year we were fortunate to have four excellent projects selected as recipients of Gold Star Awards:
WHITELADIES CINEMA – Quentin Alder Architects
The return of this prominent building to cinema use after some 15 years of closure is greatly welcomed. The Listed Art Deco structure had been the subject of various proposals for unsuitable uses such as a fitness centre. The building had previously been damaged internally by conversion to three screens, and was in poor condition when Everyman took over. They have fully repaired the structure, including its distinctive tower, and reinstated the elaborate period plasterwork.
REDLAND PARISH HALLS – O’Leary Goss Architects
The Parish Halls have been a valued amenity for our area since opening in 1994. The need for additional and more flexible space, together with upgrading of the existing services and structure has been imaginatively and skilfully met. The new complex considerably enhances the appearance of the halls from Redland Green.
KENSINGTON COTTAGE – Quentin Alder Architects
This house, built on the site of two lock-up garages, and sandwiched between the road and railway embankment, shows what can be achieved by good design on a very small site. The house has a natural stone elevation to Kensington Road. No windows were allowed to the railway boundary. The design provides small outdoor living spaces, including a balcony to the open plan first floor. It is hoped that if further garage sites are developed here they will be to the same standard.
ELM LODGE – Richard Pedlar Architects
This small and unusually shaped cottage on its corner site has been subject to much alteration in the past, as the slight variety of natural stone shows. The latest extension, which was refused planning permission by Bristol but allowed on Appeal, is a skilful design that respects the historic structure and materials.
In 2016 Gold Star awards were made to the following developments:
Colstons’ Primary School, Elmgrove Road
The different levels on this site have been successfully exploited to create separate and well landscaped outdoor spaces for different age groups. From the street the timber clad buildings go well with the restored stone boundary wall.
The Downs Haven
This unobtrusive building at the very top of Blackboy Hill was built in 1917 by public subscription for the benefit of service personnel who were convalescing from their wounds at the nearby Queen Victoria Hospital. Council owned, it has been carefully restored by volunteers.
The Pissoir (gentlemans public lavatory), Blackboy Hill
This early example of the public convenience was erected in the 1880’s by Bristol Corporation and is one of only three remaining in Bristol. The cast iron structure, made in Glasgow, has been carefully restored and the glass roof renewed.
158 Redland Road
This large 1930’s semi-detached house has been much improved by its renovation, with period details retained and emphasised. The landscaping is particularly successful.
8 Kersteman Road
The substantial former electricity sub-station space has been reused as living space with new floors over creating a 3 level house. A welcome new use of a redundant building. It adjoins a church converted to residential use – a former RCAS Gold Star winner.